Thompson Family 2005

Thompson Family 2005
Happy Times

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Too Old to Change?

Over the years my children and grand children have "gotten" me into all sorts of things. At times good and at times not so good. I could relate some of those, but it would take all my blog space from now on, but I may write about some of them as they come to mind.
My daughter especially has a way of getting me out of my comfort (lazy) zone. At her school inservice this year, the teachers were trained in  "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey. I had heard of the book but had never read it. One of my resolves this year was to read a self help or self improvement book for every novel I read. I've been picking up books at estate sales and putting them on the bookshelf. They look really impressive there. I've actually read only two (and many more novels than that), but at least I'm trying. I told Mitzi that I would like to read any handouts, etc. they had received during their training. From what she told me it sounded very interesting. Well, a few days later here she comes with the book. She had found it at a garage sale. So now I have started it and read it every other day. The novel I'm reading is called "Tara Road" and I've gotten to a part where I don't want to put it down, but if it's my day to read the Covey book then I do that.
I'm not very far into the book, and he is "over my head" in a lot of his thinking, but the book is already making me think that things may not have always been what I was so sure they were. He talks about how we have been conditioned for a lifetime by the influences in our life - family, school, church, work, environment, friends and associates. We tend to assume that everyone sees the world as we do (or should), when we need to be able to see the world as they do also and it may not be the same. That's the assignment I have given myself this week - to really look and listen to people to hear and see their perspective on things and in most cases it will probably be totally different from mine. I may write about it  later if I have some success.
One thing I know for sure is that my daughter and my grand kids refuse to accept that I'm old and they stretch my mind and body far beyond where I think I can go. That's not a bad thing, and who knows, maybe I'll live long enough to finish the Covey book, since I have to read every page at least twice..

2 comments:

  1. Well, I seem to think I have to comment again... love your writing...and your mind. However, unlike your resolve, mine has been to never read a self-help book again. I wouldn't read "The Help" for a while because I thought it was a self-help type. Silly me. One of the best books I've read in a long time!! And the movie is good too! Now, in my defense, I don't think I'm ignorant of other's perspective which is not always 'my way.' In saying this, I still admire you, Glenda, and your constant reading and "keeping up with not only your kids, but your grandkids". You're a marvel to us all and we love you. Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on this a day or so ago and it didn't post it and I don't know why! You're not too old for all the stuff we bring your way... and besides, that's what's probably keeping you young!! -Mitzi

    ReplyDelete