Thompson Family 2005

Thompson Family 2005
Happy Times

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Retirement

In my opinion, retirement is the best thing ever invented. It would have really been nice in our twenties! We have been retired for 12 years and I can't remember when we were so busy. I had envisioned long lazy days, having plenty of time for cooking really good meals, etc. That hasn't happened. One thing I don't understand is how we can end up with a desk full of paper work. I thought when I retired I wouldn't have a lot of paper work and decisions to make. How wrong I was. I get my desk cleaned off, everything filed and feel very proud of my accomplishment. The next thing I know it is full of paper again. I don't dare put it away before I finish it, because I would not only forget where I put it, but that I had it in the first place.
Of course having surgery for breast cancer didn't help. With over 55 insurance claims and bills from every person who met me during those 3 months it has been a struggle to keep it all straight.. If I hadn't known how to make a spreadsheet, I would have made many double payments. As an example, recently I received a bill from my oncology clinic saying I owed them a little over $700.00. I spent 4 hours one morning going back over everything I had paid, putting it on a spreadsheet and I ended up owing them $15.38. I mailed the spreadsheet along with my check to the accounting department. Within a few days I got a call from them telling me how much they appreciated the information. They just couldn't get it figured out. She told me that after looking over everything, I still owed them $23.00 and she would send me their explanation. I said "forget the explanation, I will send you $23.00 and we'll call it even." She sent me a letter saying "paid in full" and we were both satisfied, although I wasn't too happy about spending all that time doing their work for them. Maybe it just takes retired people longer to get things done.
More about retirement later.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could teach all of us a thing or two about how to not get taken advantage of by the system! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last comment was from me, Mitzi. The only way I could figure out how to do it was to put that it was from Anonymous. Oh well... at least I got to comment!

    ReplyDelete