Thompson Family 2005

Thompson Family 2005
Happy Times

Friday, January 6, 2012

Long Winter Days

Having just returned from 10 days seeing our grand children and brand new great grandchild, Gabriel Keith Baker and all the activities that involved, life now seems a bit hum drum. In days past I could cook something yummy for us and start new projects.
But with my diabetes having gotten a little out of control and with pain in both feet constantly that cuts down tremendously on activities I enjoy. I see the foot doctor next week, so maybe I will get a diagnosis and I have purchased (through my new Kindle) a book called "The 30 Day Diabetes Cure" It is written by a doctor and he explains in graphic detail what will happen to me if I don't get my Type 2 Diabetes under control, and it is not a pretty picture. So after having read some of it on Tuesday, I went to the health food store on Wednesday and bought a cart full of food he suggested I eat. I started the diet on Wednesday and have managed to stay on it for two days. I think the first 10 days is the worst because he's trying to get all the sugar out of your body and get it cleansed for the next phase. I haven't been brave enough to read that far yet, just trying to survive one day at a time for 10 days. I'm finding it cost a lot more to eat healthy than to eat fast foods, good homemade baked potato soup, etc. That is definitely not on this diet, nor are the bagels with cream cheese and the boxes of donuts the motel put out each morning for our breakfast. I know I have to take this diet seriously because the doctor just keeps adding medicine on top of medicine when my blood sugar goes up. Actually the doctor who wrote the book said this isn't a "diet" but a lifestyle change and I thought "whoopeeeee". When you get older, eating out or cooking "good" food is about the only pleasure we get, so I'm thinking of other things to do beside eat.
One of my favorite things to do is read and play with my new Kindle. I've downloaded several books, the Bible, a few games and Amy taught me some things about it while we were there. She just got hers for Christmas and could do more than I could within the first 30 minutes. Of course I have several books for classes at church that I need to be reading as well. Every time I sit down to read one of those books, my restless legs kick in and if I take a pill so I can sit, it puts me to sleep.
I'm not really complaining, even though it may sound like it. There are so many people that our ladies class visit who are so much worse off that I count my blessings all the time.
So yesterday I hobbled up to Home Depot and looked at their carpet. We may carpet the sun room, so that's a fun thing to think about, especially since we won't be watching the Cowboys in the playoffs, and it looks like the Mavs won't make it either. Come on Ranger's baseball season.
Spring will be here before we know it and I get to go dig in the yard. Can't wait!
I may just start a new jigsaw puzzle. Getting older is definitely not for the faint hearted.
More later and maybe it will be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment